To help you find the right support, we’ve compiled a list of organisations that provide services, advice and guidance on a range of issues that may affect you and your family

The local offer helps children, young people and their parents understand what services and support are available to them from a range of local agencies.

Each local authority publishes its own ‘local offer’ of support, covering special education, health and social care services for people with special educational needs and disabilities from birth to age 25.

ACE Education provides independent advice and guidance for parents and carers on education issues in England. It also seeks to improve access to and understanding of the education system.

The Association of National Specialist Colleges (Natspec) is an association of independent specialist colleges that provide further education and training for young people with learning difficulties or disabilities.

The Department for Education is responsible for education and children’s services in England.

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions to prevent unsuitable individuals from working with vulnerable people.

The Education Funding Agency (EFA) manages funding for state-provided education in England for 3–19 year olds, or up to the age of 25 for high needs students.

Ofsted inspects and regulates services that provide education and skills for learners of all ages.

As the independent regulator of health and social care in England, the Care Quality Commission makes sure care services provide people with “safe, effective, compassionate, high-quality care”.

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions to prevent unsuitable individuals from working with vulnerable people.

Health Watch England is the national consumer champion in health and care. It uses its statutory powers to ensure the voice of the consumer is strengthened and heard by those who commission, deliver and regulate health and care services.

Contact a Family is a national charity working to provide information and advice to the families of disabled children and young people. It also helps families meet other families to share knowledge and support each other.

Local forums, such as the Shropshire Parent and Carer Council (PACC), support parents, family members and carers. PACC works alongside the local authority and education, health, social care and other providers to ensure the views of children, young people and their families are represented.

In England, the Council for Disabled Children brings together organisations working to support disabled children and young people up to the age of 25. The CDC influences government policy, works with local agencies to put policy into practice and offers information and guidance on issues affecting the lives of disabled children and young people.

Shropshire Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS) provides free, confidential and impartial information, advice and support for children, young people (up to age 25) and their parents and carers about special educational needs and disabilities, including social care and health.

Family Fund gives grants for essential items such as washing machines, cookers, clothes, tablets, computers, bedding and much-needed family breaks to families raising disabled or seriously ill children.

Communication Matters supports people with complex communication needs who may benefit from augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) systems to maximise their opportunities and enhance their lives.

The Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) works to help students develop the ability to initiate spontaneous communication through the use of pictures and symbols.